Saturday, April 21, 2012

PTI Make It Monday #62: Step It Up: Layering

This week Papertrey Ink has a tutorial and challenge hosted by Betsy. She has shown us how to take a simple one-layer card design and step-it-up by adding layering, dimension, and embellishments. If you would like to check it out for yourself, you can find all the info here.

Since teacher appreciation week as well as the end of the year is coming up, I thought it would be good to pull double-duty and make a card for the occasion. I also needed to make a thank you card for our upcoming MOPS speaker, so I decided to make a general thank you card as well.

Here is my simple 1-layer card:


I used some melon berry ink on a Q-Tip to color the pencil eraser and some summer sunrise ink to color the pencil shaft. I made the pencil lead darker with a fine-tipped black marker. I added the star after moving on the the "stepped-up" card, and am happy with the addition.

I made my "stepped-up" card with a few layers, a touch of heat embossing, and utilized the rule of three's and triangulation theory that Betsy spoke of.


I tried to triangulate my arrangement of stars as well as the use of the red (berry sorbet) ink.

Supplies (all PTI unless noted):
Stamps: Background Basics: Postmarks, Happy Trails, Library Card, Tag-Its #6, Star Quality (The Craft's Meow)
Ink: Classic Kraft, Fine Linen, Berry Sorbet, Melon Berry, Summer Sunrise, Dark Chocolate, Smokey Shadow, Aqua Mist, Lemon Tart, Tea Dye Duo, eucalyptus (A*Muse), Versamark (Tsukineko)
Dies: Button Card, Happy Trails, Star (Quickutz)
Cardstock: Stampers Select White, Poppy (SEI)
Other: markers (Copic), clear embossing powder (Superior), black marker (Zig)

Thanks ever so much for stopping by today!

10 comments:

  1. Wow! So much to see in this great card! The pencil "squiggle" is remarkable and you really did "step it up" using Betsy's design advise. (Isn't she amazing?) Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great cards! Very impressive designs. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the cards. I really like the Postmark Background stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both cards are really cute. Love that big die cut star.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pencil lines, how fun to draw your eye through your card! Really great designs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great card! Wonderful design! I love the way it lifts off the page!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great card! Wonderful design! I love the way it lifts off the page!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are both gorgeous, but I really love the added layers of the stepped-up version! And daggonit, you have me thinking about taking another look at Happy Trails, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous cards, love how you designed all the layers and elements on the second card.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty! Love the collage look on the first one. The step-up version is awesome. I always love cut out pieces! :o)

    ReplyDelete